GALLERY OF MILITARY GLORY
These sections of the site are under construction.
miracle occurred in Moscow on December 31, 1999. Despite the hard times, the birth of the
new millenium saw the opening of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior.
There are three altars in the main church. The central one - dedicated to the Birth of Our
Lord and two side altars located in the second floor balcony - dedicated to Saints
Nicholas and Alexander Nevsky.
Patriarch Alexey is the Rector of the Cathedral while the assistant rector is Father
The reconstructed Cathedral was intended to be as close to the original in as many ways as
possible. The architects and builders used every available source to research the original
construction. However, two major distinctions exist between the original and the
First of all, an entire new section was designed and constructed at the base of the
Cathedral instead of the hill that the original Cathedral stood on. Today, this area
houses the Church of the Transfiguration, the Hall of Church Councils, the Hall of the
Holy synod, several Dining Halls (designed after similar Halls in the Kremlin), a
Patriarchal suite, as well as many offices for the Cathedral staff and an underground
garage. A special ramp allows both vehicular and pedestrian access to the Cathedral.
Elevators were installed in the administrative areas and in the columns of the Cathedral
Secondly, the newest technologies and building materials were used in the construction of
the new Cathedral. For instance, the walls are made out of concrete faced with brick. The
exterior is faced with marble from Koegla (Cheliabinsk regions, Russia), while the stairs
and base of the walls are faced with red granite from Balmor (Finland).
The Cathedral of Christ the Savior is the largest cathedral in Russia. It can fit up to
10,000 people. The Cathedral is designed as an equal sided cross measuring 85 meters
across. The Cathedral is 37 meters high without the main cupola. The main cupola is 28
meters high and over 85 meters wide. Thus, the overall height of the Cathedral is
approximately 103 meters. The walls are up to 3.2 meters thick and the overall size is
524,000 cubic meters. Over 22,000 meters of walls are frescoed, out of which more than
9,000 alone are gilt.
The Cathedral of Christ the Savior commemorates the Divine Intercession that lead to the
Russian victory over Napoleon. Thus, it is both a religious and a historical monument.
Therefore, the frescoes include both religious and historical figures and events. The
two-story galleries surrounding the main church are devoted to the history of Russia and
the War of 1812, specifically. Marble boards on the first floor commemorate the
participants of the War of 1812. The frescoes in the second-store gallery depict various
historical events and personages that played a decisive role in the Orthodoxy Church or in
Clergy: The Patriarch is Rector of the Cathedral. Father Mikhail Riazantsev is the
assistant rector and representative of the Patriarch. In addition, there are two priests -
Fathers Nikolai Gostev and Andrei Ovchinikov and two deacons - Fathers Aleksandr Ageikin
and Andrei Marushak.
Schedule of Services: Vespers, Matins and the Divine Liturgy are conducted in the main
Cathedral on Sundays and feast days. Daily services are conducted in the Church of the
Transfiguration on weekdays.
Choirs: the main choir if the Cathedral under the direction of N. Georgievsky, a
well-known church conductor and a youth choir under the direction of S. Koltsova, a
graduate of the Moscow Theological Academy's School of Choir Directors.