original building of the Main Guardhouse of the Peter and Paul Fortress
did not survive. In 1748-1749 the dilapidated wooden guardhouse was
replaced by a one-storey stone building with an open gallery stretching
along the main facade.
In 1907-1908 the building
was reconstructed: the second storey was added up as well as the
magnificent portico consisting of four columns joined in paired carrying
the entablature and the small pediment. The decorative motive of the
portico on the main facade of the Guardhouse is similar in its composition
to that of the Boathouse. It brings the new building in harmony with the
older structures of the Peter and Paul Fortress.
At present the Guardhouse
accommodates the directorial board of the State Museum of History of St.