President Putin
St. Peterburg livecams
Go to the TicketsOfRUSSIA.com main page
  White Nights 2017New !  
  SEARCH  
 
 
HOME > PETERHOF >
 
MUSEUMS
 
Museums

Museums

Museums
 
 

The Dining Room

In 1842 a special "dining room" and an open marble terrace were annexed to the east front of the palace. The annex was connected with the earlier part of the building by an impressive lancet arch. Nearby, in a recess of the wall, the statue The Madonna and Child (1844) by Ivan Vitali can be seen.

The Dining Room was usually used for private meals in a narrow circle; not infrequently persons from the Imperial family's closest entourage were invited.

In the centre of the Dining Room stands Her Majesty's Own Service for twenty-four diners produced in the late 1820s - early 1830s at the Imperial Porcelain Factory and the Imperial Glass Works specially for the Cottage Palace. The service includes snow-white porcelain articles of simple and austere forms, crystal glass vessels with diamond-faceted decoration and glassware of ruby, cobalt, opal and emerald colours. Originally consisting of 530 items, it was replenished in the course of the nineteenth century. In 1831, in addition to Her Majesty's Own Service, special "Gothic plates" were produced for the Cottage Palace and their number was also permanently growing. In 1843 a large number of objects made of uranium glass came to the Cottage: decorative vases, guéridons, plates, wine coolers of unusual green colour shot with gold.

The walls of the room are embellished with paintings by Ivan Aivazovsky. Noteworthy among them is the large-scale painting View of Constantinople at Sunset (1846). Also displayed in the room are pictures by masters of the "Italian genre" - Pimen Orlov, Timofei Neff and Sokrat Vorobyev. Of special historical interest are three panoramic views by Theodore Gudin featuring the Alexandria Park at different times of day. They were commissioned from the artist by Nicholas I in 1841.

The Small Reception Room

Usually the Small Reception Room functioned as the place where courtiers and maids of honour were waiting for the Empress's orders.

The room was decorated in the middle of the nineteenth century in the Neo-Rococo style, which revived the mid-eighteenth century Rococo shapes a century later. The corbels are used as supports for a small but valuable collection of porcelain statuettes created in the nineteenth century after models by the famous eighteenth-century masters Johann Kandler and Michel Victor Acier at the Meissen Porcelain Factory. They show ladies and cavaliers engaged in conversations or making music as well as amorous shepherds and shepherdesses.

On the pedestal stands a bronze bust of Alexandra Feodorovna cast in 1841 by Piotr Klodt from Christian Rauch's model of 1826.




The Dining Room.


The Dining Room.
Ivan Aivazovsky.
View of the Neapolitan Bay. 1841.


The Dining Room.
Gothic plates.
The Imperial Porcelain Factory,
St Petersburg. 1831.
Uranium Glass.
The Imperial Porcelain Factory,
St Petersburg. 1843.

The Small Reception Room.
Back
_______
Peterhof
 
t o p   o f   p a g e  
     
 
The official homepage of the Peterhof: www.petehof.org
Complete playbill of all St. Petersburg,Russia theatres, shows, concerts, etcComplete playbill of all St. Petersburg,Russia theatres, shows, concerts, etc. !
World-known music festival "The Stars of the White Nights". Artistic director - Valery Gergiev (Mariinky (Kirov) Opera and Ballet)World-known music festival "The Stars of the White Nights".
Artistic director - Valery Gergiev (Mariinky (Kirov) Opera and Ballet)

If your site is touch upon to the contents of any section of the Tickets of Russia website, we offer you to exchange links

Add Peterhof to favourites


Add TicketsOfRussia.ru to favourites
 
     
www.TicketsOfRUSSIA.com

Add this page to favourites (bookmarks)

© 1999-2005 "Tickets of Russia"
All right reserved